Keith Urban - Long Hot Summer

April 03, 2012 Critic Jonni 0 Comments

So today my randomiser picked Edges for my special, this week. Which happens to be a coincidence since I went to town with him to see The Hunger Games today. He hadn't got any idea what music video to pick, so I suggested a few reasons why he might send me a specific music video, the main one that came up was "One you'd think I might never get the chance to review". This must have been the reason that sparked up this music video as I hadn't really heard any of Keith Urban's music, although I am aware of his name for some reason...

Keith Urban is a big country star in the USA, here in the UK we don't know him much, and don't really know who he is. As for releasing... Well a few songs have made it on to the UK chart, which were "You'll Think Of Me" and "Once In A Lifetime", and a couple of albums. If he were to start releasing here in the UK, promoting is definitely a need to do thing, and since Country is slowly making itself known here, then it's the perfect time to give the UK another shot. But would we take to this country/rock music? There's only one way to find out, and I hope he does end up releasing a few more singles and albums here in the UK.

"Long Hot Summer" was written by Richard Marx and Keith Urban. Richard Marx is a singer, and in the late 80's early 90's had a successful career, worldwide, including the UK. Lately he has fizzled out, but have had some great collaborations in songwriting, this being one of them.

This music video is a great music video, narrative and performance is used, which generally makes up the best of music videos. And although there isn't much to the story, there's no need for it. It's basic, it's simplistic, but also engaging and understandable.

Keith Urban and his backing band is pretty good, you know that if you saw him live you'll know you'll have a great time, which is exactly what you want from a video like this one. I also like how they are performing on the sand, where the couple meet up later on in the video.

The couple, who are played by Summer Glau (I know her from Dollhouse, but she has been in loads of films and TV) and Alexander Rodriguez (actor/model appeared in Hot 'n' Cold by Katy Perry). Alex plays a surfer who's in lover with Summer, who has come and met him at the beach with a friend, which is pretty far away, so a road trip is added in as well. It looks like they plan on having a party since there is quite a few of them, and obviously the connection is still there. A basic and simplistic narrative, that captures you no matter what.

Also, after much comparison, this seems to be the same beach as One Direction's "What Makes You Beautiful", due to the fact that the steps leading to the beach are the EXACT same, unless in America they have the same steps on every beach... Which I highly doubt.

Overall a great song and music video, and definitely something I would never have come across. I don't think I have anything bad to say about this music video, there's a few things that doesn't quite fit. But apart from that it's great and definitely worthy of this rating. Although the song's not to my taste, I can see it being stuck in my head all day.

0 comments: