The All-American Rejects - Dirty Little Secret

January 15, 2012 Critic Jonni 0 Comments

The All-American Rejects are up for today's Sunday revisit. This song made an impression on me, the first time I heard it I loved it. Now I'm kind of a fan of the band, and I hope I still will be with their new release coming out very soon. I have never seen the music video before now and I'm quite surprised I that I haven't.

The song is written by Nick Wheeler and Tyson Ritter, two of the four members of the band, the other members being Mike Kennerty and Chris Gaylor. I like the fact that they write their own songs as it gives across a lot of emotion, which is exactly what this song does.

The music video is very clever, everybody I know who has watched this video on YouTube has always paused it so that they can read every single postcard that appears on screen. I do believe that we aren't given enough time to read them all, which is really annoying when you're half-way through a postcard and it switches to the next one, so pausing is needed, but when you do click pause the music stops which is also not good.

The band are performing as well in the video, this is good as you see they are full of energy. I like the fact that they've enlarged the postcards and put it up almost like a collage, and I think it's pretty clever what the cameramen/women do (or whether it's the editors I don't know), but you could be watching a postcard and as it zooms out you see the band playing rather than the person behind the postcard from the previous scene.

There are some frightening, shocking, and clearly disturbing postcards that are shown, I haven't read them all, but the ones that I have, has surprised and startled me. Some of them are on the ridiculous side, that makes you think "as if somebody would do that", but I presume it's always possible, which is clearly a frightening thought.

There isn't a lot else to talk about this video, it has the right amount of narrative (which are the people holding up the postcard/their dirty little secret), and the performance is what we all expect from rock bands. The video reminds me a bit or My Chemical Romance's "Sing It (For Japan)", although there are obvious differences.

0 comments: