Maroon 5 Featuring Christina Aguilera - Moves Like Jagger

September 15, 2011 Critic Jonni 0 Comments

I first heard about this band back in 2002 with their single "This Love". I actually did think they were a British band, but by 2004 I had lost interest in the band, and although I kept up to date with their releases I was no longer interested. Recently I have worked out that they are an American band, which kind of makes sense since collaborations with Rihanna and like this one with Christina Aguilera would have been very rare if they were a british band. They've done fairly well over the years in various different charts succeeding expectations in 2002, but slowly failed to do any better. However this song has got everybody talking about it, it is so catchy you can't help but sing-a-long.

Maroon 5 is a 5-piece pop/rock band siding more to the pop side than the rock genre, but personally I'd class them more as an indie band. The band consists of Adam Levine, James Valentine, Jesse Carmichael, Michael Madden and Matt Flynn. The band was previously known as Kara's Flowers but soon changed their name in 2002 because it would stop comparisons to their earlier music which was considered quite different. As I have already mentioned they collaborated with Christina Aguilera with this track. Now she was in the spotlight for a number of years, starting off with the Mickey Mouse club, alongside Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake (to name a few), and then soon became Britney's biggest threat, it was always Britney Vs. Christina, and it looks like Britney came out on top, since Christina disappeared for a few years, but she is crawling back to the top, and Britney once again has this unstoppable competition, and Christina still has the voice. This battle will be fierce once again, but will Christina win this time? We'll have to wait and see.

This song is about Mick Jagger, which kind of explains the title, since at first I used to be confused about who "Jagger" was, but since this video, I've clicked. Mick Jagger is probably best known for being in The Rolling Stones, he has very iconic dance moves and has been described as one of the most influential front men of rock & roll of all time. I love the beat of this song it is so catchy and you can't help but like this song, it has amassed over 20 million YouTube hits and it'll soon grab a lot more attention soon. I love the lyrics especially Christina's, I also like how the song references certain things that can be related to Mick Jagger. I don't know why Maroon 5 has once again grabbed my attention, I really didn't think it would be possible, but they've done it, and although I will not be a fan of them again, I can't help but like their music.

This music video is really good, I really like the start and the ending which shows some old clips of back in the days of Mick Jagger. The band has a lot of respect for Mick Jagger, and I really like how they've managed to show old clips of him in a new light and to be able to show it to the new generation is always a good thing (shush, don't tell anyone but I was unaware of who Mick Jagger was until I started researching for this review, I knew his name from somewhere but wasn't sure where). Adam Levine wanted to expose Mick Jagger to the new generation as many people haven't experienced how great he was. The clips they used was endorsed by Mick Jagger himself, and he even gave the footage to them, which is such a nice thing to do, and I bet Maroon 5 was really happy.

The video is very authentic and goes with the whole Mick Jagger style, I like how many people try to "move like Jagger" including Adam Levine who claims he's "got the moves like Jagger"..... Girl fans of Adam Levine would definitely like his shirtless appearance showing his colourful tattoos off but don't worry guys there's eye candy for us too, with many provocative girls, if you look closely you'll see what I mean. Christina's short verse fits perfectly and her style, with the big floppy hat and the mascara eye-lined eyes makes her a big part of the group, and if Maroon 5 is ever looking for a 6th member, she's right there in front of you. This collaboration is perfect in every way.

Overall I really like this song and the two artists collaborating. I have just found out that Adm Levine and Christina Aguilera were both mentors on "The Voice" (the American version), which could have formed this collaboration. "The Voice" is planning on getting a UK version hosted by the BBC, which I'm certainly looking forward for. The music video is pretty good, like the concept of using a figure icon to express the song, and it relates perfectly since the figure icon is mentioned in the song. The narrative side may be missing a bit, but you really can't help but have joy in your face while watching this video. I have to give this video this rating, for the groovy music video that I'm loving every time I watch it.
Buy on iTunes

0 comments: